Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cicklas or Calista

When we first decided to name Calista, I wondered how the kids would do pronouncing her name. But Samuel and Jacque seemed to do it easily, so I never worried again. I never wondered about how future siblings would do pronouncing such a big name. Ellen has solved the problem for herself. She refers to Calista as "kick-lus." Calista has never seemed to mind her new nickname until the other day. This is what I heard:

Ellen: Kicklus, can you...
Calista: NO! My name is is CA-LIS-TA, not kick-lus
Ellen: That's not what I said. I said, Kicklus!
Calista: NO!! That's not my name. I'm CA-LIS-TA.
Ellen: That's what I said, Kicklus!!!
Calista: NO!!! That's not my name. I'm CALISTA!!!
Ellen: That's what I said, CA-LIS-TA!!

So she can say the name right, but for some reason kicklus is what comes out first. She has to pause and really think before Calista comes out. I tried to tell Calista that it was a fun nickname that Ellen had given to her, and she hasn't seemed to mind it since then. We'll see who wins out in the future. Will she still be called kicklus when she's a teenager? What will Sarah start calling her?

1 comment:

Tonya said...

That is soooo funny! I never thought of that either. Go Kicklus!! You should video her calling Calista that... it would sound so cute and be so good for later years:)