Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Last Supper

This week I wanted to work on celebrating a little of Easter every day. I looked on sugardoodle.net and found different Easter ideas. One of them took the last few days of Christ's life and celebrated a little every day of the week. That's the one I'm following. Yesterday we learned about when Christ entered Jerusalem riding the white donkey. Tonight was the Last Supper. We made a dinner with unleavened bread, grape juice, salad with fruit and vinaigrette dressing, olives, and other fruit. Then we pushed the table back and ate on the floor. The kids also dressed up for the occasion (yes those are pillow cases and sheets). Ellen says, "Am I a shepherd?" But it was the only thing I could come up with and we were eating at 8pm anyway. While we were eating, I talked to them about the last supper and then commented how after the supper, Jesus washed his apostles' feet. The jumped at that. "Mom are you going to wash our feet," they all asked. I actually hadn't thought of it earlier, but I did it. They enjoyed this evening a lot and hopefully they will think of Jesus more this week.


Tomorrow we get to talk about when Jesus went into the Garden of Gethsemane. The kids are getting excited to see what each night has in store for them. Each day has a story to tell and an activity. It's a lot of fun to see their excitement and to spend so much time thinking about Christ during the week. In the past we've made Easter treats, but schools and communities put so much time into the Easter Bunny, that we haven't succeeded in bringing Christ in as much as we should have. I'm having a great time and I hope the kids will all remember this.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

What a fun idea. I wanna look up some easter ideas too-- but away from the easter bunny, now I know where to look. Thanks for posting! If I can't find it on sugardoodle, I may be calling you:)

How was the feet washing? Were they dirty?? Did you give them a chance to wash someone else's feet too?

Amy said...

I hadn't thought about washing feet before, but that was a great idea! Way to go doing something EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!