Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Are you you or are you her?

Growing up, Blaine Allen (an older man in our ward) could never tell my twin sister and I apart. He would always ask me if "I was me today or if I was her." I'd laugh and say that I was me today. Somewhere along the line I learned a saying that helped other people tell Tonya and me apart, "Tia dots the I" (because I have a mole on my left cheek). I never knew where it came from, but it made sense and so I passed it on to everyone I met. It wasn't until several years after I was married, that I found out my father-in-law came up with the saying when he was Bishop. He had a goal of learning every primary child's name, and he came up with that little saying. He tells me that one Sunday, I came up to him, covering my mole and asked him, "Which one am I?" Obviously I'd caught on to his game.

Well, now Tonya and I live 32 hours away so there aren't many people mixing us up anymore. It's probably a good thing too, because on April 4th I got my mole taken off. The scab has finally gone away and it's just a little red spot. It will be interesting to see if it goes away completely without scarring or having pigment remain. The dermatologist said that the mole might actually grow back again too, but we'll have to wait and see. I got the mole off because it kept growing and both Aaron and my mom and dad thought it should probably come off. I had it sent to the lab and the results came back fine.

So now the question comes back again. Am I me, or am I her? Will you be able to tell us apart? Just for the record, I don't think we look that much alike anymore, but then again, I don't have to look at both of us at the same time either.

I actually tried to take pictures of myself for this blog, but they didn't turn out very well. So I'll have to have the kids do it another time.

3 comments:

Tonya said...

I think you must be HER:) hee hee!

Joseph and Ivy Waite said...

Are you having an identity crisis now that your mole is gone? I think you should have a dot tatooed in its place. I havn't seen Tonya in a while but I don't think you look that much alike anymore.

Amy said...

Once when grandma Hunt was living with us, I walked into the kitchen first thing in the morning after having just woken up, and was confused for a minute when she asked, "Are you you, or are you your sister?" Your blog reminded me of that.