Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ellen, Calista and Mommy

I was in the living room the other day, when Ellen comes out from the hallway, pauses at the end of the couch and says,

E: "I mad!" with a scowled face.
M: "You're mad?"
E: "Yes, I mad!" (same look).

I tried to talk her out of being mad, but she was sure that she was mad, so I told her that if she was mad she needed to go down to her room. She didn't pause to think about it, but just turned and left. After about two steps she started crying, and cried all the way down to her room. I told her that if she wanted to be happy, then she could come out. She quickly decided that being "mad" was overrated, and being happy was the right way to be!


Another conversation I had, but with Calista this time. Jacque and Samuel had left to go to Aaron's Stake basketball game, so it was just me and the two youngest home. We had a baptism that we wanted to go to. I got the girls ready and then started getting me ready. I never like getting ready without Aaron or someone around to tell me if what I'm wearing actually looks good, so I always end up trying on several outfits. My first one I tried was a knee length skirt and a button up shirt. I was doubting it would look good, but decided that I would put my contacts in and look in the mirror before I vetoed it. I had to walk into the hall bathroom to get my contacts in, and the girls quickly came to the door. As I was unscrewing the lid to the contact case, Calista says,

C: "Mom, why are you wearing that dress?"
M: "Well I'm not sure I'm going to wear it. Why? Do you like it?"
C: Pause
M: "It's okay if you don't like it, you can tell me."
C: small pause..."No."

So I go back into the bedroom and change into another dress. This time when I come out Ellen runs down the hall and says, "Beautiful!" with Calista agreeing. I ask, "Is this one better?" and Calista says, "Yes!"

I'm so glad that I have someone who will tell me if I look okay or not, because I just am not gifted with that talent.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

When you're done using their expertice, please send them this way!!! How funny!

Jen Tolman said...

Leave it to the kids to tell the truth. I always appreciate that my kids won't let me go out looking like a total dork.