
A couple days ago, Calista brought me the "Guess Who?" game and asked who one of the characters were. It was a simple name like Rob, and I told her to read it. She told me she couldn't, but I encouraged her. So she sounds out the word, "r--0--d." I had to correct her on the "b" and then she said, "r--o--b...Rob!" She was able to sound out the word and put it together all on her own. I got really excited which got her excited and we moved onto other names, keeping to the simple three letter names. She was able to do them all. Then Jacque came home the next day with a list of words ranging from 1 letter up to 5 letters. I sat down with Calista and she was able to sound out all the 1, 2, and 3 letter words: a, am, an, and, as, at, but, can, cat, dad, did, dog, got, get, had, he, him, his, I, if, in, is, it, mom, and not. I know these are simple, but it seems like when Jacque and Samuel were starting to read, I practically had to sound the word out for them before they could tell what the word was. Calista was doing it all on her own and she's only 4! I was also impressed with her because I haven't really worked with her on reading. This is just stuff she's picked up from somewhere. We've done a little bit of work on sounds, but I can't really take much credit for teaching her.
3 comments:
That somewhere, is from her big brother and sister. It seems that they learn so quickly from one another.
Good job Calista. Also good job Jacque and Samuel for loving books.
Ellen will be glad when you read to her she loves books too.
I love you!
Way to go Calista!! That is so exciting. I can't wait to see you and then you can read to me!
That's amazing! Good job Calista!
Post a Comment