Thursday, February 10, 2011

What's for dinner!

I think some of Samuel's more used phrases are, "Mom, I'm hungry!" "Mom what can I eat?" "Mom, what's for dinner?" Samuel is always hungry and he's a tall skinny boy. Well I played a game with him the other night. I was in the kitchen making dinner and he comes in and asks me,

S: "Mom, what's for dinner?"
M: "Porcupines."
He pauses and says, "Really?!!"
M: "Yep."
S: "Are they good?"
M: "Well Grandma Kerns always made them, so ask Daddy."
Samuel's not quite sure what to do here. He has a rule to live by right now: Daddy teases me all the time. I know it's true if mom says it too. But here's mom saying that she's making porcupines for dinner. Do I believe her or not? So he says, "Dad..."
D: "Yes Samuel?"
S: Slight pause, "When you eat porcupines, do they poke you?"
(Aaron's been working on the computer, and is oblivious to anything going on in the kitchen.)
D: "Only if you eat the quills." He left it at that, not thinking anything more about it.
Samuel thinks about it some more and comes back into the kitchen. Calista's in the kitchen watching me make them by now. Samuel watches me make it too and asks again if we're really eating porcupines. At some point in here Ellen starts wondering what porcupines are, so Samuel runs over and grabs a book and shows her a picture of a porcupine!! When Samuel comes back to the kitchen I tell him, yes, I'm making porcupines, but it's really just meatballs with rice mixed in them. Grandma Kerns calls them oven porcupines!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

So did the kids eat your porcupine dinner? Marjorie made that here once but the kids would hardly touch it. I thought it tasted really good. Of course anything new the kids claim they don't like it.

mariann and Tory said...

Thats cute! Sounds like a yummy dinner! Do they have a sauce that goes with it?

atkernsfam said...

Leslie - The kids actually ate it really well. I made a full 9x13 pan and I had only one meatball left. Samuel wants me to make it again tonight for the missionaries.

Mariann - yes there is a sauce. It's tomato sauce, water and Worcestershire sauce.

Amy said...

That's so funny about Samuel. And that is one of my favorite dinners still to this day!