Friday, October 29, 2010

Yummy Apple Pie Bars

Mom let me have one of her Family Fun magazines the other day, and I found a very yummy recipe. I usually am not one for cooked apples, but for some reason I like this recipe. Maybe it was the icing on top. Anyway, while we were eating these, the thought came that they would make really good treats for lunches because they would freeze easily and they stay together well. We were able to just pick them up and eat them with our hands. Hope you like this recipe too:

(this is not my picture, but I think it looks a lot like the one I made)

Apple Pie Bars

Crust: (this recipe was fine, but I might try and use my own pie crust recipe next time. It was just hard transferring this crust to the pan. It tasted just fine.)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 egg
Milk (about 2/3 cup)

For the Filling:
1 3/4 cups cornflakes ( I used rice crispies because that's what I had)
8 cups peeled and sliced cooking apples ( I used my fuji apples that I just bought)
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

For the topping:
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Step 1. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour and salt. using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Separate the egg yolk and white, reserving both parts. Beat the yolk in a liquid measuring cup, then add enough milk to measure 2/3 cup an blend well. With a fork, stir together the yolk-milk mixture and flour mixture until the ingredients form a sticky dough. Halve the dough and flatten each half into a 3/4 inch thick disk. Cover the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate them until well chilled, at least 30 minutes.

Step 2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour corn flakes into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to lightly crush them.

Step 3. On a sheet of waxed paper, roll one portion of dough into a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch rectangle. Transfer the dough to an ungreased 15 by 10 inch jelly roll pan. Sprinkle the crushed cereal over the dough, then layer on the apple slices.

Step 4. Roll out the remaining dough as in step 3. In a small bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg for the filling. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples, then lay the dough on top. Use the tines of a fork to seal the dough edges.

Step 5. In a small bowl, use a fork to beat the reserved egg white until foamy, then brush it over the dough. In another small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle it on the crust.

Step 6. Bake the pastry until lightly browned, about 50-55 minutes. Let it cool for an hour, then mix the confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to make a glaze and drizzle it over the top. When the dish has completely cooled, cut it into bars and serve.

1 comment:

mariann and Tory said...

Yum! I bet that was super good! I vote you guys come see us and make it for me:} haha!