Friday, March 4, 2011

Who is setting the example around here?

This has happened a couple of times, and I have been really impressed and humbled. The account that I'm going to retell is the latest one. We've been doing this cleaning game, and Samuel is the "clean police." He started with a handicap this week of only 20 pennies, where his Jacque, Calista and Ellen had 35, 35, and 50, respectively. Well we counted yesterday and he already had 86! We've also changed the game where we can earn pennies by doing different things around the house. Yesterday, Samuel ran in saying, "I caught Calista." After they say this, I ask how, to make sure it is a legitimate claim. He said that he found her coat. I asked where it was and he said it was behind her. Earlier I had seen her sitting in a chair with her coat lying behind her in the chair. I told him it didn't count since she hadn't actually left the coat. He got frustrated because he'd already put her coat away, and walked off angry and crying. I felt bad for her, but that's how it goes. A bit later, Samuel comes out of his room a happier person and says, "Mom I read my scriptures." You could've picked my jaw up off of the floor. This boy of mine is such a good example. When I'm angry and feeling that life isn't fair, I need to remember what Samuel did. That's the best way to get in a good mood. I love being a mother to my wonderful children who are such good examples of what I should be doing!

2 comments:

Dean and Dawnie said...

Oh my....what a special spirit he is...and recognizing at such a young age the power of the Scriptures in his life.

Good job Mr. Samuel. Your Mom and Dad are special parents too.

Tonya said...

So cool!! But i'm sure you and Aaron must have set the example first so that he knew what to do! That is so fun! I love it when little kids (or big kids) teach us. Thanks for sharing!