Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Is it bad when you can smell your water BEFORE you taste it?

Ontario is known for it's bad tasting water, but in the last year and a half that we have lived here, we've actually gotten used to it. When we first moved here, I couldn't get a drink without gagging. After a few filters that broke after a month of using them, we decided to just drink it. A few weeks ago we were commenting that the only difference between our water and the water back home was that the water back home was colder. It's sad to admit that, but it is also a blessing.

Sunday we went home for the Kerns family dinner, and then came home that same night. After I brushed my teeth, I got a drink of water, and it was horrible! I didn't say anything to anyone else because I just figured it tasted weird since I just brushed my teeth. Yesterday, I started doing laundry, and as the washer was filling, it really started to stink. I had left some laundry in it over Sunday, and thought it might've been from that, but when I smelled the clothes they smelled fine.

It wasn't until after Aaron came home for lunch that I got it figured out. It was the water. It smells like a swimming pool that hasn't been chlorinated for a while in the middle of summer. Aaron called the water control people and they gave us some comforting news. They said that the water inlet from the Snake River was clogged, and so now they are taking the water from the gravel pit. I always figured we were drinking water from the Snake River, but I don't think I wanted to hear it. And now getting it from the gravel pit inlet, just doesn't sound any better. They said it will take a few days before things start tasting better, but it is safe to drink. I don't think any of us are actually going to be drinking it for a few days though. Juice and milk taste a whole lot better. Aaron even tried making orange juice with the water, and it was gross. I keep debating if I want to take a shower. Will I come out smelling better or worse? It reminds me of playing sports in Adrian!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Our water is safe you can come shower over here if needed. What fun for you :(

Thanks for the babysitting offer. We figure we will count looking for houses in April our anniverary get away. We won't have the kids with us.

Tonya said...

Nasty!! Okay, you have just convinced me to never move to Ontario!! So now it is your duty to move to where I live in the future! I would buy some bottled water, because you still need water, and it isn't too expensive. Just get it in those BIG 5 gallon jugs. As for showering-- ewww! I'm sorry. You can come to my house and shower if you'd like! The water smells great here so far:)

Tina said...

I got your e-mail about your blog. I don't think I knew that you guys were living in Canada! That's cool. The water on the other hand... gross. I don't think I could handle that.
Your bunkbed looks awesome though!!

mariann and Tory said...

That is so funny! I have issues with water! I don't like having it have a taste at all!