Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bunk bed Update


I tried to get close-up pictures of the joints for you. It isn't finished yet. We have to get the slats the right length, and then we have to pin the ends of the slats, sand and stain. David, Tristin and Meredith start coming again on March 19th, so we still have a couple weeks. Hopefully we get it done before then so then all the kids have a couple of nights to sleep in it first.





Side View



End View

joint




Bottom Slats





The slats go all the way through the side rails. We want the slats to stick out just a little (the closest slat pictured, not the further ones). Enough to draw attention to it, but hopefully not enough to have anyone bump a head or scratch a leg. We are going to pin the rails on the outside like the picture below, except the dowel will not be so long. You can kind of see a chiseled recess behind the dowel, and the dowel will be about that height. The 2x4s and the dowel will be stained dark and the rails and posts will be light.






We aren't going to have a ladder on the bed because I don't want to have to spend half of the day getting Calista and Ellen off of the top. If they can't climb up to the top, then they don't belong! Samuel can get up just fine, and I think Jacque will be able to climb up easily too, she just hesitates right now since there isn't a bed below her.



3 comments:

Leslie said...

It is looking good. It will be so nice to have too.

Tara and Josh said...

Tia, great pictures. I'm excited for you to come visit me and help me make one too. I bet the kids are so excited. I like to idea of the two different kinds of stain. We love you and you are a great blogger!
Love
TARA

Tonya said...

You guys have done an awesome job!! I can't wait till we visit next and can sleep on it:) Good luck figuring out how to pin it!