Friday, September 17, 2010

Let 'er Buck!

This week is Pendleton's Round-Up, a time when the population of Pendleton triples or more. This year it is especially big because it is the Centennial! We went to a parade last week which gave out a whole bunch of candy to everyone but us. We were at the end of the parade and most of the people were out of candy, but I saw a bunch of people later who filled up bags of candy from the parade. This morning we went to the non-motorized parade. Here are some pictures from the parade today.

"Let 'er Buck" is the logo for the Pendleton Round-Up. I've also seen people wearing shirts with a cowboy who's just been bucked off. It reads "Bet 'er Luck!"

I think this was some sort of mounted government posse.

The Wild Horse Casino is everyone's favorite participant. They hand out full size candybars!

The sign on the wagon says, "This wagon was used in 1850"






Here are some pictures of some old equipment. Aaron really liked these, and even knew what they are for. But he isn't here to tell me what they are right now, so you can either speculate or wait until he tells me!




What would the Round-Up be without the Indians!!




I thought these ones looked fun! I think it was actually supposed to be some sort of whisky tank.



By the end of the parade, the kids could tell us the difference between a mule, donkey, horse and draft horse. The people around us liked to hear the kids say, "I like your donkey!" Only to be reminded by daddy that it wasn't a donkey, it was a mule or horse! Aaron had to explain the difference to some people around us.




Jaylyn this one is for you! These girls are the Canadian Rodeo Princesses. It was neat to see where all the princesses/queens were from. We had Oregon very well represented, but some were from Washington, Montana, and North Dakota.

I think my favorite part of the parade was the Mounted Marching Band! And I think they are the smarted band I've seen. They don't have to march all through the streets, they get to ride!! They also play really fun music like "When the Saints Go Marching In!"







Hopefully you felt like you were at the parade with us. They told us that there were about 300 entrants!

3 comments:

Tonya said...

That is a really cool parade!! And I loved the marching band:) Thanks for taking such great pictures! And did your kiddos get candy? At least the big candy bars??

Leslie said...

I haven't been to the R-up in ages. We used to go when I was a kid and enjoyed it at the time. I was actually in one of the parades one year. I rode my horse.

So does Pilot Rock get out of school because of the rodeo???

atkernsfam said...

Leslie, No Pilot Rock doesn't get out of school, but they do only have four day weeks, so we were able to go to the parade on Friday morning.