Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Our Latest Project!

I've been babysitting a couple of kids during the nighttimes, which means that Samuel gets kicked out of his bed and has to sleep on the couch. Samuel actually really likes the couch, but it would be nice for him to have a bed too. So Aaron and I have taken upon ourselves the job of making our own bunkbed (twin on top, double on bottom). We are making it using lodgepole logs and half/split logs. Aaron has done most of the work. I tried to help peel the logs, but I wasn't very fast. It took me at least an hour to peel one of the halves. Aaron went out in the shop the next day and started peeling about the time I started cooking dinner. When dinner was ready, he came in and I asked him if he'd finished the log he'd started. He looks at me for a minute and says, "I finished 4 of them." Oops! That shows how much better he is than me. Samuel went out and helped Aaron that same day, and he probably did better or at least as well as I did. The next day, Samuel went out and worked with me. This time he was my coach..."Mommy, you need to get that black stuff off. It is bark...Mommy you don't need to get the grey part. That's just where the log started rotting..." and other comments like that. I was impressed that he had paid such good attention to Aaron. It was fun to have him teach me.

Now that the peeling is done, my job is to hold the logs verticle while Aaron drills out the holes. So far we have put the back and front together. The next order of business will be to attach the sides. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but hopefully they will come soon.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Great! I am glad that you have started a blog. It looks good. Now we can see what is going on with you especially since we won't be living as close in a few months. See you on Saturday.

Polkowske Fam said...

Way to go Tia and Aaron! You guys are so ambitious, and the Lord has blessed you with good minds to figure out all of that creative stuff! Another pat on the back Tia for attempting a family blog...I hope it works as a journal for you because I have stayed on top of my blog better than any of the kids' scrapbooks. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Tonya said...

YAY!! You have a blog! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!! Now we can keep reminding eachother to update:) I can't wait to see pics of the work in progress. I loved the part of Samuel coaching you! That was hilarious!! I call you later and teach ya how to do other backgrounds:) But it looks good so far:)

Dean and Dawnie said...

Tia, YAY...way to go! I like what you have written. Great ideas, but where are the pictures of your cute kids???? I have some, if you need me to email them? or post them?

Love to all. MOM